Wednesday 1 February 2012

Curriculum Connection


In order to focus my learning I feel that it is important to connect what I am learning to what I would be teaching. Therefore I am including the SCO's for Science 9 that are connected to Atomic Theory and the Periodic Table. The following outcomes have been taken directly from the Atlantic Canada Science 9 curriculum documents and are being included for informational purposes only.

Atomic Theory

  • Use models in describing the structure and components of atoms and molecules, and explain the appropriate operational definition (307-14, 208-7)

Periodic Table

  • Identify examples of common elements, and compare their characteristics and atomic structure (307-15)
  • Use the periodic table as a classification system and compile data about its structure (210-1, 210-2)
  • Identify the elements and number of atoms, given a chemical formula (307-16)
  • Provide examples of scientific knowledge that have resulted in the development of technologies (111-1) 
  • Provide examples of technologies that have enhanced, promoted, or made possible scientific research (111-4) 
  • Explain and provide examples of how society’s needs for chemistry incorporate science, technology, and environment (112-3, 112-8)
Although I took science during my own personal high school experience it amazes me at how little I recall from introductory chemistry. I think that the foundation of chemistry lies in having a concrete understanding of the Periodic Table and how matter is formed which grade 9 science is focused on. After briefly searching Atomic Theory in Google it amazed me at how little I remember. There were so many individuals involved in the discovery of the atom and the history of this discovery is facinating. I think that understanding how scientific knowledge evolves is important for our students and the study of the Atomic Theory helps present just that. Having students study the history of a theory such as Atomic Theory helps present the true nature of science and how science changes and evolves over time. In my next post I will be taking a closer look at the timeline of the Atomic Theory including some of the key players involved in developing the theory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment