Tuesday 7 February 2012

Sharing My New Found Knowledge

One of the things I wanted to get out of this process was the ability to confidently discuss atomic theory and how the periodic table is organized with an expert in the chemistry field. One of my colleagues has a bachelor of science in chemistry and math and has an expansive knowledge in the area of chemistry. We sat down this afternoon and discussed what I had gained form the experience and she gave me the confidence that I know how to clearly explain the theories and processes I described in detail throughout this blog. My colleague sent me her thoughts on my understanding in an email and I have included this below.

"Great job Jenn. I remember our conversation before we started this process and you were so surprised at how many trends were within the periodic table. You came a long way. I really enjoyed how many different resources you used to draw your information from. I found myself doing the same thing for microbiology. We will have to remember ,when we become teachers, that students will need just as many resources to understand concepts as we did to learn these areas. I really enjoyed how you separated your concepts well into postings and made it so easy to follow. You gave a great history of how atomic theory came about, and used clear terminology. I also liked your post about new elements. A common misconception I came across during my chemistry practicums was student's thinking the chemical periodic table can't change. Your research shows how dedicated you were to this project and how committed you are to understanding different sciences. Have confidence in your understanding and knowledge of atomic theory and the periodic table of elements because it most defiantly came through in our conversation and in your blog

In one of your postings you talked about each of the groups and gave some examples and information on them. For group 14-16 you included it with group 13, even though there are many non-metals located within these groups. Maybe you can write a bit about the non-metal elements in groups 14-16 (Carbon, Nitrogen and Oxygen) since a lot of high school chemistry, and even most of my B.Sc in chemistry were geared towards these three elements. Other than that I am so pleased with the work you put into this learning assignment, and know how far you've come since the start!

Kyla Gillis"

This has been a wonderful learning experience and I have found the blogging very useful to aid in my rediscovery process. I could see using blogging in the future if only as a place to put my thoughts down. I look forward to taking part in many more self directed learning tasks as I grow as a science teacher. Here is a cool image of the periodic table made of cupcakes :)

Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment